Tuesday 7 November 2017

Heart of Eden Half Marathon 15th October 2017

A route that started and finished at my old secondary school so it was nice to have a look around the old school yards.(smokers corner)
Its also a route that Id never ran before but knew it would be fairly hilly.
About 130 runners gathered on the start line and looking around soon realised a lot of the faster runners were absent. (insert smiley face here)
As the the gun got us started about 5 of us formed a small pack at the front, among us was club fellow mate Jack.
After a small fast downhill the route started to climb where Jack soon got bored and strode out and formed a gap. A gap that would extend till the finish line.
After a couple of miles I was in second place with a small group a hundred meters behind.
The course climbed gradually for the first few miles and I soon settled in to a nice easy rhythem keeping my pace steady
I was a bit surprised after 5 miles when a Dumfries runner caught, then passe, then got a gap of 30 meters ahead of me. He seemed a stronger runner then me so I decided to try and defend 3rd place and make the 2nd place guy didn't get too far ahead of me.
Around 9 miles things started to feel easy so I upped my pace a bit. The Dumfries guy seemed to be going through a bad patch and I soon caught him up and then pushed hard. I was hoping he wouldn't stick with me because I don,t think I could've carried on at the same pace but luckily he slipped back a little bit.
The last mile was down hill and I had to work really hard to keep ahead of 3rd (who had been caught by his club mate and first lady) and Iwaas soon running past smokers corner 1 hour 23 mins after I left to finish second behind Jack Erye who finished 3 minutes ahead.(insert sad face here)

A good workout that will hopefully help me towards the two ten milers coming up.

No comments: